Who Can I Call for Water Restoration Services After a Water Heater Failure?
El Centro Water Restoration Companies Like SERVPRO Offer Rapid Mitigation 24/7
Across the United States, including El Centro, an estimated 40% of homeowners have experienced home water damage. Much of this damage happens behind walls and underneath floors, which renders DIY cleanup solutions a challenge to successfully implement in full. Access to a fast-responding cleanup service is especially crucial for water heater damage, which can spill copious amounts of water in hard-to-clean areas in your home.
SERVPRO is among the premier water restoration companies in El Centro, with mitigation and restoration services available to homeowners 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This firm’s training ensures that technicians and franchise owners alike receive a comprehensive education in water damage mitigation, mold remediation, and cleaning carpet and upholstery to minimize property loss for homeowners.
Can a Water Heater Really Cause That Much Water Damage?
Water heater leaks can create large amounts of water damage in your El Centro home very quickly. These repairs can quickly become costly cleanup projects without undertaking proper precautions, maintenance procedures, and identification of problems with appliances.
- Slow leaks might take several days to become apparent, by which time gallons of water have been unleashed into your home.
- Even a 30-gallon tank can release thousands of gallons’ worth of water and cost tens of thousands of dollars to repair.
- Without regular maintenance, water heaters can experience critical failures well before the eight- to 12-year service life expires.
Worried that your water heater might leak? Check for such signs as:
- Hot water does not reach the same high temperatures that it once did.
- Rust-colored or metallic-tasting water is coming from fixtures.
- Your unit’s anode rod is corroded, burner units are clogged, or the tank is rusty.
- When heating water, the appliance makes noticeable popping or cracking sounds.
- Your water heater has a visible puddle underneath it.
To minimize your water damage risk, practice the following:
- Flush the tank once or twice a year to remove sediments.
- Have a licensed professional inspect and service the tank as needed yearly.
- Replace the anode rod if it is corroded.
- Check supply line connections and hoses regularly and replace hoses as required.
- Keep a drip pan under the water heater to prevent damage from accumulating underneath.
When Should I Call a Water Restoration Company?
Contact a restoration company if you notice the following:
- Wall damage. Swollen, warped, or crumbly drywall with bubbled, cracked, or peeling paint is a relatively consistent indicator of water damage. This type of structural malady typically indicates that a wall has been slowly accumulating and attempting to drain water.
- Floor buildup. Floor damage can take many different forms depending on the materials used in your El Centro home. For example:
- Laminate and hardwood floors can swell, warp, or even buckle
- Grouted tiles may become loose, or the grout itself may show signs of swelling or discoloration.
- Linoleum and vinyl flooring may begin to peel as moisture eats away at your flooring’s adhesive.
If you notice any of these signs, take a look at your subflooring as well. If water is coming from the floor, the subflooring is likely to need structural drying and microbial remediation.
- Mold growth. Where there are heat, moisture, and organic materials, you are sure to find some kind of mold. Look for a characteristic musty odor, particularly in damp, dark areas of the home. Closets and cabinetry tend to accumulate mold quickly if they are in or near the kitchen or bathroom. Mold can grow on your property in as little as 24 hours, so do not delay if you notice it on your property.
How Does SERVPRO Prepare My Home for Water Restoration?
SERVPRO techs take several steps to mitigate water damage before restoring a property. One of the most important of these steps is structural drying.
- Air movers are placed every 10 to 16 linear feet, or 150 to 300 square feet, of the affected area.
- Dehumidifiers work in tandem with air movers using a variety of mechanisms, including desiccant materials and refrigerated coils.
- Structural drying is much faster and less likely to create secondary water damage if extraction is performed first.
- Establishing drying goals relies on making accurate calculations based on such factors as relative humidity, equilibrium moisture content for various materials, air temperature, and the area in square feet of affected space.
SERVPRO of El Centro / Salton City can keep your home looking, “Like it never even happened.” Call (760) 337-5858 to have a fast-responding team at your home within hours of your initial contact.